These quick-bread Sweet Potato Cupcakes with Vanilla Buttercream are moist and packed with the fall flavors of cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and Chinese 5 spice and are topped with a Swiss meringue buttercream studded with vanilla bean paste. They’re perfect individual-sized Thanksgiving desserts!
Pureed Sweet Potato Instructions
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Wrap two sweet potatoes in foil and place them on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 50 t0 60 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are soft.
- Split sweet potatoes open, scrape out the flesh and puree in a food processor or blender until smooth.
- Wait for the puree to cool down until at room temperature.
Roasted sugar is from Stella Parks BraveTart cookbook and it can be used exactly the same as plain sugar.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Pour 4 pounds of refined white sugar into a 9x13 inch glass baking dish and roast for 2 hours, stirring every 30 minutes.
- The sugar should be sandy tan color and coarse, like turbinado sugar.
- Let the sugar cool completely and store up to a year in an airtight container.I used Nielsen-Massey Madagascar Bourbon Pure Vanilla Bean Paste, where 1 tablespoon vanilla paste = 1 tablespoon vanilla extract = 1 vanilla bean.
I used Nielsen-Massey Madagascar Bourbon Pure Vanilla Bean Paste, where 1 tablespoon vanilla paste = 1 tablespoon vanilla extract = 1 vanilla bean.
Use your preferred vanilla bean paste or simply substitute 1 tablespoon vanilla paste with 1 tablespoon vanilla extract or 1 vanilla bean.