This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
This Twice Baked Acorn Squash with Thai Yellow Curry and Chicken combines Thai yellow curry paste, coconut milk, shredded chicken, and jasmine rice in a simple and comforting meal.Jump to Recipe
Twice Baked Acorn Squash
I think this Twice Baked Acorn Squash with Thai Yellow Curry and Chicken is my favorite meal I’ve done with leftovers so far.
It is extremely delicious and super simple. I kind of want to make it again. And again. And again. Especially with this cold weather (I know I know-as a Californian I have no right to complain about being cold).
Thai yellow curry is perhaps one of the most comforting flavors out there. Simmering coconut milk and curry paste permeates the house: it’s buttery, soft, and most of all, warm. Then there is the undercurrent of fragrant jasmine rice: fresh, clean, and light.
The sweetness of the acorn squash goes amazing with the flavors of yellow curry and as I learned from this Cheesy Thai Yellow Curry Tater Tot Bake, so does cheese. Part of the reason it was so good too was because I was using REALLY good grilled chicken leftovers.
Low Fat Diet
I’ve made concessions for my continuing struggle with fat, the thing that makes things taste amazing.
I used lite coconut milk instead of regular. I grudgingly bought reduced-fat cheddar and Monterey Jack cheese.
Feel free to use full fat coconut milk and cheese. Like double cream Gouda. Extra sharp and aged white cheddar. Now I’m just torturing myself. But in all seriousness, even with the reduced fat cheese, this meal is wonderfully delicious.
I hope all your Christmas’s were amazing and that you got to spend time with the people you love in a relatively stress free environment. Have an exciting New Year’s Eve and I’ll talk to you next on the brand new and shiny year. Any of you have cool plans?
Easy Fast Meals With Tons of Flavor
One of the reasons why this meal is so simple and yet SO TASTY is because of the homemade Thai yellow curry paste. It should become a staple in your kitchen for how many creative and delicious meals you can get out of it.
Twice Baked Acorn Squash with Thai Yellow Curry and Chicken
- 2 acorn squash cut in half lengthwise
- 13.5 ounce can lite coconut milk
- 3/4 cup Thai yellow curry paste
- 1/2 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 cups leftover chicken shredded
- 1 cup jasmine rice
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1/2 cup reduced fat cheddar shredded
- 1/2 cup reduced fat Monterey Jack cheese shredded
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Place the acorn squash cut side down on a baking sheet and cook for 45 minutes.
- Remove the squash from the oven and scoop out 3/4 of the flesh from each half. Make sure to keep the squash skin intact. You should have about 3 cups. Set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Scoop the coconut cream at the top of the can and add it to the skillet (if you’re using lite coconut milk there won’t be that much top cream at all). Melt the cream and then add the curry paste, stirring until it starts to sizzle (1 to 2 minutes).
- Add the rest of the coconut milk, broth, acorn squash meat, and rice. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat to low, cooking for 15 minutes or until the rice is tender.
- Add in the chicken and stir until combined. Cover and cook for 5 minutes, until the chicken is warmed through and the rice is done cooking.
- Add the coconut sugar and fish sauce, stirring until mixed in.
- Scoop equal portions back into the acorn squash skins. Top with shredded cheese and cook for 10 minutes.