Thai Yellow Curry with Chicken is the ultimate comfort food. Yukon gold potatoes, pearl onions, sliced carrots, and bite-sized pieces of chicken soak up all the wonderful creaminess of curry, coconut cream, and coconut milk, making each bite heaven.Jump to Recipe
Luckily, most of the hard work is already done. Last week’s post detailed how to make, Thai Yellow Curry Paste, the essential and most important ingredient.
Thai Yellow Curry with Chicken
I decided to use frozen pearl onions instead of the common onion stir-fry cut. And they’re my new favorite thing.
They are like little bursts of flavor in dishes. I make sure I pour them into a strainer and let them defrost at room temperature. This makes sure all that excess frozen water is drained away.
Cutting the chicken into bite-sized pieces is a chore and always takes me forever to do. I hate it. To make this chore easier, it helps if the chicken is still partially frozen.
This recipe makes a lot. The first time I made it, it was the perfect serving size for 5. Only there wasn’t enough chicken and the leftovers did not have very much sauce.
If I decreased everything else to make the chicken ratio more perfect, there wouldn’t be enough to serve five.
So I increased the chicken and sauce by half and kept everything else the same. The ratio of sauce, chicken, potatoes, onions, and carrots was perfect but…wow it made a lot. But whatever. More for the family, friends, and me. More for everyone.
Other Things to Make with Curry Paste
Thai Yellow Curry with Chicken is amazing, even more so if you take the extra time to make the curry paste from scratch. There are a lot of benefits to taking the extra time and effort to do so:
- The flavor is out of this world better.
- YOU have all the control.
- It can be a quick and easy flavor enhancer to ANY dish once it’s made.
Check out these recipes to find out how else you can use Thai yellow curry paste.
- Thai Yellow Curry with Chicken
- Cheesy Thai Yellow Curry Tater Tot Bake
- Twice Baked Acorn Squash with Thai Yellow Curry and Chicken
- Thai Yellow Curry Popcorn
- Oven Roasted Pepitas with Curry
- Easy Chocolate Bark with Curry, Pepitas, and Coconut Flakes
- Crispy Curry Chicken Thighs with Garlic Ginger Rice
Your cooking will have so much awesome flavor if it becomes an essential part of your pantry.
Thai Yellow Curry with Chicken
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 14 ounces frozen pearl onions thawed
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1.5 cups Thai yellow curry paste
- 12 Yukon gold potatoes cut into bite-sized pieces (I quarter them)
- 3 and 1/4 cups coconut cream ultra-high temperature-UHT
- 1.5 cups coconut milk
- 1 cup water
- 8 large carrots sliced
- 3 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1.5 tablespoons fish sauce
Heat 1 tablespoon coconut oil on medium heat in a large dutch oven.
Once hot, add the thawed pearl onions and sauté until fragrant, about 3 minutes.
Add salt and pepper.
Add the chicken and curry paste and sauté for 5 minutes.
Add the potatoes and stir to coat.
Add the coconut cream, coconut milk, and water to the pot. Turn the heat to high. Once it starts to simmer, reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 15 minutes.
Add the carrots and simmer for another 15 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
Stir in the fish sauce and the coconut sugar.
Serve with rice.
Put the pearl onions in a strainer and defrost them at room temperature. This makes sure all the excess water drains away.
This recipe makes a lot. Cut the recipe in half or freeze the leftovers (I’ve done this and it’s still amazing tasting).