This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Buttery, salty, warm, and slightly sweet, this Thai Yellow Curry Popcorn will destroy your portion control will power and be your new favorite movie snack!Jump to Recipe
I’ll eat Thai yellow curry any time of the year, but I always associate it with fall the most. And as October is the time where I often go on the biggest movie and TV show marathons, what better snack to dream up than Thai Yellow Curry Popcorn?
How to Make Curry Popcorn
The key to making flavorful curry popcorn is infusing the fat ingredients with Thai yellow curry paste in two separate steps. This will get that flavor more deeply embedded into every bite.
The first infusion step is whisking the oil used to pop the corn with the curry paste. The paste doesn’t completely emulsify but the oil will turn a bright yellow.
Shaking the pan vigorously while it’s heating before the popcorn starts popping and continuing to shake it as the corn pops will help distribute the curry paste. Don’t worry about it clumping up though. The solids mostly get stuck to the pan and will be left behind once you transfer the popcorn to another bowl. And that’s all right because it’s done its part in adding flavor.
The majority of the curry flavor comes from the second infusion process: melting butter and some curry paste together and pouring it over the popcorn.
And that’s how you get extremely flavorful curry popcorn.
Other Uses for Thai Yellow Curry Paste
If you think making your own Thai yellow curry paste isn’t worth the effort for a simple popcorn recipe STOP. You’re thinking too small.
Having curry paste ready to use in your freezer will automatically set you up for some very good meals. There are so many ways to use curry paste:
- Thai Yellow Curry with Chicken
- Cheesy Thai Yellow Curry Tater Tot Bake
- Twice Baked Acorn Squash with Thai Yellow Curry and Chicken
- Thai Yellow Curry Popcorn
- Oven Roasted Pepitas with Curry
- Easy Chocolate Bark with Curry, Pepitas, and Coconut Flakes
- Crispy Curry Chicken Thighs with Garlic Ginger Rice
Ulcerative Colitis/J-Pouch Popcorn Woes
A little disclaimer – popcorn is now on the list of foods I can’t eat. But I’ve had this recipe ready for a long time and still wanted to share it with everyone.
I feel like 90% of the ulcerative colitis and j-pouch population has problems with popcorn and I always felt incredibly lucky that I had no trouble with it.
But my luck has run out and the pain is not worth the extreme pleasure I get from snacking on copious amounts of popcorn (eaten exactly as Amy Schumer describes to Ellen)
I’m in desperate need of a different movie snacking food but nothing even comes close to satisfying the empty hole popcorn has left in my heart and stomach. Any ideas would be much appreciated.
Thai Yellow Curry Popcorn
- Mix the vegetable oil and 1 tablespoon curry paste together in a small bowl with a whisk. It won’t emulsify all the way but mix until the oil is a bright yellow color.
- Pour into a large 4-quart pan and add the kernels. Cover with the lid slightly ajar and place over medium heat, lifting and shaking the pan frequently. When the popping slows, remove the pan from heat and transfer the popcorn to a large bowl.
- In a small microwavable bowl, melt the unsalted butter and curry paste together in 5 to 10-second intervals, swirling the bowl between bursts. Once the butter is completely melted, add a 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt to the bowl and whisk everything together until the salt dissolves.
- Pour the mixture over the popcorn and mix until the popcorn is well coated. Sprinkle and mix in the rest of the kosher salt.