This Sparkling Basil Lemon Mocktail has flavors of basil, cardamom, lemon, and mint that will leave you with a fresh sparkle.
Out of all the mocktail recipes I created to go along with the gin drinks in the DIY Gin Bar, this lemon mocktail was my favorite.Jump to Recipe
I’m sure if you’re anywhere between 25 and 35, many of your friends or family members are trying to get pregnant, are pregnant, or are breastfeeding. And anytime there’s a party, they are usually drinking something boring and store-bought or jealously giving some serious side-eye glares.
Outside of pregnancy though, there are plenty of people who, for either religious or health reasons, choose not to partake. I myself go through periods where consuming alcohol would be detrimental to my health.
Whatever the reason, it always feels nice to be included, and not as an after-thought. This Sparkling Basil Lemon Mocktail has just as much thought, effort, and recipe development as a cocktail and you can taste it.
The biggest piece advice for making a good mocktail is to treat it like you’re making a cocktail. This basically means to give it the same attention you would a cocktail.
- Measure: I think accurate measuring is even more important for mocktails. With cocktails, there is always the personal preference for adding more or less alcohol but a mocktail’s flavor profile is easier to mess up without the alcohol.
- Shake, stir, pour, and garnish: use the same equipment and garnishes you would use for a cocktail
- Pay attention to aroma and temperature
- Balance flavor profiles (sweet, sour, bitter, umami, salty, astringent, etc.)
If you utilize these tips, you’ll be able to make stellar mocktails that make you feel a part of the party.
DIY Gin Bar Recipes
Speaking of parties, here are ALL the recipes in the DIY Gin Bar, including infused sugars, shrubs, cocktails, and mocktails!
- Orange-Basil Strawberry Mocktail
- Vanilla Earl Grey Blackberry Mocktail
- Sparkling Basil Lemon Mocktail
- Lemon-Dill Cucumber Mocktail
- Rosemary & Mint Lemonade Mocktail
- Strawberry Shrub with Basil and Peppercorn
- Blackberry Shrub with Vanilla and Earl Grey
- Lemon Shrub with Cardamom and Mint
- Orange Shrub with Cardamom and Thyme
- Orange Shrub Recipe with Yunnan Tea and Szechuan Peppers
- Vanilla Bean Sugar
- Orange Sugar with Szechuan Peppers
- Lemon Zest Sugar with Cardamom
- DIY Citrus Sugar with Lemon and Dill
- Lemon and Lavender Infused Sugar
- Strawberry Gin Fizz
- Blackberry Gin Fizz
- Mint Gin Fizz
- Lemon Gin Fizz with Cucumber and Dill
- Orange Gin Fizz
- Gin Lemonade Cocktail
Sparkling Basil Lemon Mocktail
- 3 basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon Lemon Zest Sugar with Cardamom*
- 1 ounce lemon juice
- 1 ounce Lemon Shrub with Cardamom and Mint*
- Soda water to top or to taste I used Fever-Tree Club Soda
- Place some ice in a rocks glass or similar sized glass.
- In a cocktail shaker, muddle the basil leaves and sugar together until the basil is very aromatic and slightly bruised looking and the sugar is mostly dissolved.
- Add the lemon juice and shrub and top with ice.
- Shake well, until the shaker is very cold and is sweating.
- Strain into the prepared glass, top with club soda and garnish. You can garnish with a lemon wedge or slice, basil leaves, and edible flowers if desired.