This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Salmon Toast is a great way to use leftovers for a quick, healthy, and tasty lunch option. I had leftover grilled salmon and asparagus so I decided to make a little spread to go on top of sourdough toast.
I also had some leftover Japanese pickled plums, umeboshi, from making Onigiri (Japanese Rice Balls) and I decided to try dicing one up and sprinkling it on top. It was a great decision! I loved the bursts of salty goodness.
It feels weird creating a recipe for leftovers because it kind of defeats the purpose. You’re not supposed to go out and get specific ingredients. You’re supposed to use what’s on hand to create something new. But I do like looking and saving recipes that utilize leftovers because it gives me inspiration for the future. Enjoy!
- 1/4 cup shredded grilled or baked salmon
- 2 grilled or roasted asparagus spears diced
- 1 tablespoon greek yogurt
- 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh dill diced
- 1/2 teaspoon capers diced
- pinch of salt and pepper
- 1 slice sourdough bread toasted
- 1 Japanese pickled plum diced-optional umeboshi
- Combine all the ingredients together in a small bowl and mix with a fork.
- Toast the sourdough bread and butter it. Top with the salmon spread. Sprinkle with the diced pickled plum if desired (it adds bursts of salty flavor).
Use whatever green you want: sprouts, baby arugula or spinach, cooked broccoli-go with what you have (or don't put any greens in there) Green olives instead of capers. Lime juice and cilantro instead of lemon juice and dill. Get creative!