Ricotta Zucchini Lasagna uses whole milk basket ricotta and easy homemade marinara to make an extremely flavorful but light main dish.Jump to Recipe
I’m currently sitting at my desk covered in Salonpas pain relieving patches. I think the tension I’ve felt over the past couple of weeks has caught up with me. My muscles are sore, and not in the “high five on finishing your hard work out” kind.
I’m trying to find new ways to relax throughout the day so it doesn’t all hit me in the same place (my neck, upper back, and forearms).
Sitting down to a nice dinner though is always a good way to end the day. Especially when it’s a dinner that’s fairly healthy and easy while still having that comfort food feel.
Ricotta Zucchini Lasagna
I’m on a marinara sauce kick right now. Some of it is because I finally have a marinara sauce recipe I enjoy and that’s easy. But also, I like using it in lightened up comfort food dishes.
The transition between summer and fall is always a little odd. It can be cold in the mornings and evenings but still get up to the mid-80s and 90s in the afternoon.
I don’t know about you, but this causes me to sometimes have conflicting cravings. But meals like this Ricotta Zucchini Lasagna and Spaghetti Squash Bowls offer great compromises. Plus, zucchini lasagna is so much easier than making real lasagna.
The Easy Homemade Marinara in 20 Minutes and whole milk basket ricotta are the two ingredients that really make this lasagna pop in the flavor department.
I used Bellwether Farms Whole Milk Basket Ricotta (not an affiliate or sponsor, I just really liked their ricotta). This stuff is so much better than what I THOUGHT ricotta was.
What are your favorite healthy-comfort food compromises? I’m pretty sure all of mine involve substituting carbs with veggies.
Ricotta Zucchini Lasagna
- 2.5 to 3 pounds zucchini cut into 1/8 inch slices (40.5 grams sliced zucchini)
- 12 ounces whole milk basket ricotta*
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil diced
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon black pepper or to taste
- 1.5 cups Easy Homemade Marinara
- 2 cups grated low moisture mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Lightly salt the sliced zucchini and let sit for 10 minutes. Pat away extra moisture.
- Beat together the ricotta, basil, 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, egg, salt, and pepper. Set aside.
- In a 9×12 inch casserole dish, spread out about a 3/4 cup of the tomato sauce on the bottom of the dish.
- Spread out a layer of sliced zucchini over the tomato sauce.
- Spread out 3/4 to 1 cup of the ricotta cheese mixture over the zucchini.
- Sprinkle with 1 cup of the shredded mozzarella cheese
- Repeat the sauce, zucchini, ricotta cheese, and mozzarella layers. Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Take the foil off and bake for 20 minutes.
- Top with the rest of the parmesan cheese (1/2 cup) or however much you want and bake for another 10 minutes. Let the lasagna sit for 10 minutes before serving.