This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
These no-bake Lorna Doone Chocolate Peanut Butter Bars are layered bites of everything good: cookies, salted caramel, marshmallow cream, and chocolate peanut butter.Jump to Recipe
Lorna Doone Chocolate Peanut Butter Bars are basically an ode to all the times I’ve made a quick dessert snack out of Lorna Doone cookies without actually doing anything.
Whenever I crave something sweet but don’t have a real dessert, I usually end up taking a Lorna Doone cookie and smearing peanut butter on it. During the holidays, when there happens to be spare marshmallow cream, I add that too. Chocolate syrup lying around? Yep, I’ll slather some of that on too.
Finally one day I thought I would try making an actual dessert with Lorna Doone cookies. This is how Lorna Doone Peanut Butter Bars with Salted Caramel and Marshmallow Cream were born.
Lorna Doone Peanut Butter Bars with Salted Caramel and Marshmallow Cream
- Lorna Doone cookies make up the bottom of the bars
- Then a layer of salted caramel
- Next a layer of marshmallow cream
- Finally a blended mix of chocolate and peanut butter
They’re a pretty big hit and I love that they are a no-bake dessert. My desserts usually end up being the other variety.
These are also frozen treats. The bars get oozy pretty darn fast, so store them in the freezer inside an airtight container. This also makes these Lorna Doone Peanut Butter Bars perfect for the holidays.
You can make them ahead of the crazy and store them in the freezer. Just make sure you hide them. Because they disappear if you don’t. These will be the first of three no-bake frozen desserts for the holiday season.
Also, all the ingredients can be bought in a store, premade. I like going homestead a lot, making everything from scratch but sometimes it’s nice to just buy what you need.
That being said, I do make my own salted caramel sauce/sea salt caramel sauce because I’m picky. I always use this recipe from American Heritage Cooking because it’s awesome.
Lorna Doone Chocolate Peanut Butter Bars with Salted Caramel and Marshmallow Cream
- 15 Lorna Doone cookies
- 1/2 cup salted caramel or just enough to spread a thin layer over the cookies
- 1/2 cup + 1 heaping tablespoon marshmallow cream
- 1 cup and 1/3 dark chocolate melting wafers I used Ghirardelli Dark Melting Wafers
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter I use Skippy
- Grease a 6 by 10 inch baking dish with butter and then cover with parchment paper (the butter makes the parchment paper actually stay in place).
- Line the bottom of the dish with 15 Lorna Doone cookies.
- Pour a 1/2 cup of salted caramel over the cookies spreading it out evenly so that a thin layer covers them. Heat it in the microwave if it is too thick. Put in the freezer for 10 minutes.
- Melt the marshmallow cream in the microwave for a few seconds to make it easier to spread across the salted caramel layer. It’s okay if it mixes with the caramel.
- In a glass bowl, microwave the Ghirardelli Dark Melting Wafers in 20 second intervals, stirring between each interval.
- Once the chocolate is completely melted, add the peanut butter and stir until it is melted and completely combined with the chocolate. Pour over everything and spread it evenly across the surface.
- Put in the freezer until the chocolate is completely hard (about 2 hours) or freeze overnight. Pull the bars out by grabbing the edges of the parchment paper. Cut into bars, trying to cut along the lines of each Lorna Doone cookie.
I Ate Until I Was Full
The difference between recovering after the hospital this time as opposed to last time is night and day. I am feeling wonderful. There is still plenty of work to do but everything is functioning properly.
Because I’m looking and feeling so great, I’ve been getting the urge (along with other people) to treat myself. Last Friday was one of those days that will stay in my memory forever, giving me warm thoughts bathed in light.
It started Thursday when I went shopping and got a really cute outfit that looks fancy but is really comfortable. It got me out of yoga pants, which are the only clothes I can wear right now because of all the weight loss.
Friday I went to Journey Coffee early in the morning to meet with a friend and do work. I was a little productive. But it ended up being a random day where I ran into people I haven’t seen in a long time. There was lots of good conversation and cappuccino drinking that left me feeling like a normal person for the first time in a long while.
Later I went to Napa with my same coffee working buddy and we REALLY treated ourselves at Uva Trattoria. We drew out our eating experience for five glorious hours. We worked a little between digesting our appetizer, meal, dessert, and after-dinner espresso. But mostly, we ate.
And I was able to eat until I was full. It’s the most I’ve eaten in three months and there were no horrifying consequences. Sure I felt like I needed to be rolled out of the restaurant, but that’s pretty normal. Which is exciting. So. Exciting.